Monday, February 15, 2010

Crash and Burn - Meeting Women on Craigslist

I put up an ad a few days ago and its gotten a lot of terrific responses - I've posted the ad below to show you what an ad looks like that gets the attention of women on Craigslist. I've edited it so you can't find it and find me (I hope).

=======

My grandma is my Valentine's date..... and there's actually nothing wrong with that. I love my grandma and cherish every_______ her. I was in a relationship for ______ with someone who I thought was the 1. But _______, life happens. What you imagine____ reality in your head doesn't necessarily translate to what happens ______. Fast forward and I am back here, home. Well as close to a home as _______ been gone for the last ____ years. So what's wrong with this picture? Life, again, and what was going to happen when I moved to the ____________ has not happened.

So what did I expect to occur? Maybe to meet someone more than _______ I've already met. I had high expectations but they haven't been met.

But am I to expect that from women in this place?

I'm a ________________ and abroad for the last ________. I ____________ in my office. I wear a t-shirt to the office while you're in a suit. I can comfortably say that ____________. Cockier than average. Yes, but, I'm only describing the facts.

I'm not looking for you to be i____________I've had, but I do want you to be in awe by the fact that I can go from talking to you about _____________ without skipping a beat. That I can actually _______________ talk about. I'm not asking for a lot - just someone whose physical beauty is _____________ personality, wit and _________.

So I'm busy for Valentine's Day, how about dinner _______ instead?

=======

Like I said, it's been a great ad and has been a boost to my online dating. Why has it been so successful?

1) Because I targeted it towards the women on Valentine's Day. Some of the women on here are going to be extremely desperate around the days before Valentine's Day and this ad is like throwing a lure into a river full of salmon - they are going to be bites.

2) Direct, confident (but not arrogant), witty - Take note of all 3 characteristics. You may not necessarily possess all these abilities in real life, but this is online, and you can be anyone you can write about. With this ad, I'm brutally honest about myself and my experiences and that's a nice change from the "I'm looking for my hoe tonight" and "Let me make you daddy's little girl" ads that are all over Craigslist.

3) The length is just right. Its not too long and its not too short. It gets my point across quickly but also leaves you wanting more. I've pushed enough buttons on the ad to merit replies from women who see the difference in the ad quality.

So, what kind of replies did that get?

Here's one:

=========

Hello! I'll be straight to the point, I responded to your ad because it's interesting ... Not because you sound to belong in ________ society, but you talk with essence and of intelligence that most posters lack. What baffles me though is a refined man like you, with average looks, successful with career, well-traveled and smart is posting an ad for a date on craigslist. Why's that? What's wrong with ____________? Your friends and acquaintances? or '_________? '___________ just asking.

Don't take this email in a negative way. I have been in craigslist for awhile and I came to know the type of people lurking and posting there, so 'you' are a surprise to me, unless in the end, you'll turn out to be a scammer and liar just like everybody else.

=========

Bingo, hook line and sinker. Exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. The ad left her needing to reply because it was so fucking good. If I had seen this girl at a bar and I said essentially what I said in the ad in person, she'd melt the same way again.

I'll post the other replies in the next email but I've gotten about 8 replies after 2 days with most of them worth replying to. There were a couple that after doing a bit of Googling, I didn't want to pursue further. I've got 8 already and thats more than enough to keep my online dating busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment